Home Help & Info Address and Personal Info Change Change of Personal Information Checklist
  • Français
Change of Personal Information Checklist
Wednesday, 07 April 2010


Change of personal information when you move or a pensioner, survivor or former employee dies

The following information is a handy checklist of the people, groups and organizations that must be informed when you move or if a pensioner, pensioner survivor or former employee dies. There are usually more of these contacts than people realize.

For many of these contacts that involve notification of a death, you must also send a copy of the death certificate. These will typically be the Nortel pension contacts as well as the financial institutions with whom you deal. Usually you need original copies, which you can obtain from the person or firm handling the funeral arrangements. Typically 10 to 12 copies are needed.

Here is a fairly comprehensive checklist :

1) Nortel pension contacts: although the major parties involved have agreed to share information, we strongly recommend that each of them be notified if there is a change of address or death of a pensioner.

If you have moved since last working for Nortel, you are responsible for ensuring that the appropriate organizations have your latest mailing address. This is important since there might be vital information from the monitor, administrator, or courts that cannot get to you otherwise.  You should update the following organizations if you have changed your postal address, telephone number, or email address:

a) Legal counsel :

Koskie Minsky LLP

Changes must be made using the form at: http://www.koskieminsky.com/Case-Central/Overview/Page/?rid=107&cpid=24

You will need to mail or fax the form to them with supporting documentation.

If you update your address at Koskie Minsky, they will update your address with Ernst & Young so you do not have to contact E&Y yourself.

Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

Phone 1-866-777-6344 (toll free)

b) (i)-Pension Administrator for Defined Benefit Pension Plans :
Morneau Shepell (previously known as Morneau Sobeco), is the Pension Plan Administrator appointed by the Financial Services Commission of Ontario on behalf of all defined benefit pensions.

Morneau Shepell Ltd

895 Don Mills Road, Suite 700

Toronto ON  M3C 1W3

Tel. 1-877-392-2073 (toll free for members of the Nortel Networks Negotiated Pension Plan)

Tel. 1-877-392-2074 (toll free for members of the Nortel Networks Limited Managerial

and Non-Negotiated Pension Plan)

Website: https://www.pensionwindups.morneaushepell.com/

(ii)-Pension Administrator for Defined Contribution Pension Plans:

Sun Life: Telephone -866-733-8612

c) Nortel Bankruptcy Court Monitor

Ernst &Young

Phone 1-866-942-7177 (toll free)

IMPORTANT: The Monitor will not take address changes over the phone. You must complete a Change of Address form and provide proof of your new address with a copy of your new driver's licence or a new utility bill. You can request that the form be mailed to you. You can send this information to Koskie Minsky as described above, who will inform Ernst & Young, or you can send it directly to Ernst & Young and separately to Koskie Minsky.

If you send your change directly to E&Y, use the form at this website address:

http://documentcentre.eycan.com/eycm_library/Project Copperhead/English/Compensation Claims Procedure/ChangeofAddressRequestForm.pdf

You will need to mail or fax the form to them with supporting documentation.

For other communication with E&Y you can use:

Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it or Phone number: 1-866-942-7177

d) Nortel Retirees and former employees Protection Canada (NRPC):

a) Online: See Help / Personal Info & Membership Status: How to Update Your Personal Profile

b) Offline: Mail in changes to the address below that is closest to you:

Ottawa:  NRPC, PO Box 11005, Station H, Ottawa, ON, K2H 7T8

Toronto:      NRPC, 5845 Yonge St, PO Box 69596, Toronto, ON, M2M 4K3

Quebec: SRNC/NRPC, COP Ile Bizard, CP 89017, Ile Bizard, QC, H9C 2Z3

Atlantic Canada:E.Sills, NRPC, 417-331 Lacewood Dr. , Halifax Nova Scotia , B3S1K6

London: NRPC, 515 Richmond St, PO Box 1095, London, ON, N6A 5K2

Belleville: NRPC, PO Box 727, Belleville, ON, K8N 5B3

Kingston: B. Gunhouse, NRPC, 30 Grosvenor Court, Kingston, ON, K7M 3C3

Northern Ontario: B. Gunhouse, NRPC, 30 Grosvenor Court, Kingston, ON, K7M 3C3

Calgary/ West: K.Shaw, NRPC, 1220 Meadowbrook Dr, Airdrie, AB, T4A 1W5

Outside Canada: T. Paczek, NRPC, 1404 Sky Hill Place, Wake Forest, NC, USA, 27587

General queries can be made at:

E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

Address: NRPC, PO Box 11005, Station H, Ottawa, ON K2H 7T8

2) Federal pensions such as CPP, OAS and GIS. Contact Service Canada toll free at

English: 1-800-277-9914 French: 1-800-277-9915

Agents answer your questions Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm local time and from 9:00am to 5:00pm in Newfoundland. An automated system provides information at other times. Please have your social insurance number ready when you call.

For other enquiries or to find out the address of your local office to visit or where to mail questions or other information, call toll-free: 1 800 O-Canada (1-800-622-6232)

From outside Canada: Call 1-613-957-1954 (collect calls accepted). Agents are available from Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm Eastern Time.

If you have difficulty reaching Service Canada while outside the country, please contact your Canadian Embassy or Consulate.

3) Québec Pension Plan: For change of address or notification of death, call Services Québec at 1-877-644-4545

4) Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)

4a) Change of address : if you move, let CRA know as soon as possible, even before you move if convenient. This way you can avoid any disruption to benefit payments you may be receiving, and they can mail your tax return package to your new address. Also if you use CRA's direct deposit service and you change bank accounts, inform them of your new account.
Send your request by mail to your local tax centre. If you don't know the address, check your phone book, post office, or call the Individual Tax Enquiries telephone service at 1-800-959-8281 .
4b) Notification of death -forms and publications: to order by phone from within Canada and the USA, call 1-800-959-2221 , Monday to Friday 8:15 am to 5:00 pm local time.
4c) International Tax Services Office -contacts:

Phone in Canada and USA: 1-800-267-5177

Outside Canada and USA (collect calls accepted): 1-613-952-3741 (Phone service 8:15 am to 5:00 pm)

Fax: 1-613-952-3741

Mailing address: International Tax Services Office

PO Box 9769, Station T

Ottawa, ON, Canada K1G 3Y4

4d) Due dates for final tax return : if death occurred between Jan. 1 and Oct. 31, the final return is due the following April 30. If death occurred in November or December, the final tax return is due within 6 months after death.
4e) Privacy of tax information : CRA considers personal information related to taxes as confidential, so notifying them of changed information, e.g. new address, does not result in other government departments knowing of the change. If you want other departments informed, you must contact them directly.
5) Canada Post : to change your address or redirect your mail, fill out a form at any Post Office preferably at least 5 days before any move. Bring government-issued photo ID. If the ID does not include your address (e.g. a passport) then proof of residency must be provided.
6) Provincial/Territorial Government cards: when moving, to change the registered address for your health card, drivers licence, and vehicle registration, phone the appropriate government phone number or visit their local office. These are listed in every local phone book.
For hunting or fishing licences or outdoor cards, if you move you must update your licence or obtain a new one if you move out of province/territory.
7) Financial Institutions: The four usual institutions for most people are listed below. For each of them you should keep a handy record of name, address, contact person and phone number, and any account or policy numbers.

a. Your bank or credit union

b. Stock broker

c. Life insurance

d. Medical/health/dental insurance

8) Municipal governments: when you move, or if a pensioner dies, you must notify your local municipality. Most address changes can be done online by contacting your local municipal offices. However, when a pensioner dies who is a property owner, you must notify the municipality in writing, and provide proof of death. Within a municipality, the usual organizations to notify include:
- Taxation offices for property taxes
- Municipal services like water, hydro, gas
- Library services
- Other civic organizations like fitness groups

9) Other organizations or associations:

the following are common examples of other types of organizations which should be notified of changes of address, or on death:
1 - Professional groups e.g. IEEE, APEO, CMA etc.
2 - Service groups e.g. Rotary, Lions, Royal Canadian Legion, Kiwanis, etc.
3 - Volunteer groups to which you belong such as Cancer Society, Arthritis Society, CWL, Community volunteers, Seniors groups, etc.
4 - Personal interest groups like garden clubs, art groups, fitness groups etc.
5 - Reward cards e.g. Air Miles, Aeroplan, etc.
6 - Family physician, eye doctor, dentist, other medical specialists and services.
7 - Subscriptions like magazines and newspapers
8 - CATV/Satellite
9 - Internet provider
10 - Telephone company
11 - Gas supplier
12 - Hydro
13 - Water
14 - Credit cards, gas cards, etc.

Last Updated ( Friday, 10 February 2012 )
[ Back ]