In September, 2009, the NRPC incorporated as a not-for-profit organization in order to better serve the needs of our members. Incorporation provides a number of advantages over our current ad hoc organization. For members, we do not see any downside to incorporation. The advantages of incorporation are seen to be:
- The operation of the NRPC will be controlled by agreed by-laws, rather than by the consensus approach we have used to date.
- During the first year of operation, the leaders of the NRPC have been replaced by an elected board of unpaid volunteers. The by-laws ensure that regions are fairly represented on the board, while people with demonstrated skills can be retained.
- The NRPC collects subscriptions which can be used for purposes beyond the scope of costs ordered by the courts. These funds, for example, may be to further our political thrust, for communications, or for legal action beyond the scope of the court order.
- Board directors have been provided with indemnity insurance which is particularly important as we organize rallies.
- Incorporation strengthens our hand in dealing with governments, politicians and regulatory agencies.
- The NRPC can more easily associate with other pensioner organizations, who themselves are incorporated. Similar incorporated organizations representing defined benefit pensioners are the Bell Pensioners Group and the Canadian Federation of Pensioners.
Members of the NRPC can read more about the bylaws in the Members Only / Documents / General Information section.
The NRPC has a Board of Directors providing both functional and geographic leadership and comprised of the following individuals:
Board Role Board Member
- President Don Sproule
- Vice President Mike Campbell
- Treasurer Ed Carew
- Secretary John Chatterley
- Atlantic Region Chair Earl Sills
- Montreal/Quebec Region Co-chair Al Shellard
- Ottawa Region Chair Francois Meunier
- Belleville Region Chair Darwin Hoskin
- Toronto Region Chair Mike Moorcroft
- London Region Chair Mike Wood
- Calgary Region Chair Ken Shaw
- Non-Resident Region Chair Ted Paczek
- Director (Legal/GLIF) Ray Hounsell
- Director (Terminated Employees) Paula Klein
- Director (G-LIF) Frank Mills
- Director (Media, Political) Anne Clark-Stewart
- Director (Legal) Marcel Prescott
- Director (Negotiated) Mary Jane MacKinnon
Members of the Board have been elected at the Annual General Meeting held in August, 2012. The Board meets weekly by teleconference.
In addition, the NRPC has a National Committee comprised of the members of the Board plus several other volunteers who deal with the regular logistical and tactical issues in pursuing our goals. Typically, they also meet weekly by teleconference. Three members of the Committee are the court's formal representatives of the former employees: Don Sproule, David Archibald, and Mike Campbell. They also meet regularly with Koskie Minsky LLC.
In addition to the Board members listed above, the National Committee is made up of the following people:
National Committee Role Committee Member
- Kingston Region Chair Barrie Gunhouse
- Website Editor-in-Chief Barry Black
- Pension Reform David Agnew
- Legal David Archibald
- Membership Officer Don Treen
- Newsletter José-Miguel Peleato & Dave Agnew
- Incorporation Ed Carew
- Terminated Employees, Legal Mike Campbell
- Political Consultant Mike Milinkovich
- CFP Liaison Officer Anne Clark-Stewart
- Eric Dodman
- Erskine Lowe
- Wayne Getchell
Paula Klein runs an interactive social networking group from within LinkedIn specifically for terminated employees called "Recently Severed Canadian Nortel Employees". Participation in this group is an easy and fast way to get information and updates targeted specifically at those people who have been laid off from Nortel without severance. It is also a great way to get your questions answered and to provide input to Paula and Mike Campbell on any issues and concerns you may have. Just log into LinkedIn and then click on generate an automated request to join the group.
The design of the NRPC website was originally provided by Ziad Eldata. Later, Qingshan Zhou provided technical support. Currently, David Walker provides the technical expertise for ongoing design and support of our website.